Sunday, January 27, 2013

What not to say to pregnant women

About four weeks before I delivered Griffin
A few weeks ago I ran into an acquaintance I had not seen for over a month. She politely asked how I was feeling and when I was due. When I said the end of March, she looked up with surprise and said something I have never heard in a pregnancy before,
"Wow, you look so small!  I would have guess you were due in May." It made my day. I am one of those women that gets huge during pregnancy. I don't retain water and swell all over like some, it is just my belly, serious bowling ball from six months on. Up until a few weeks ago I have felt smaller than with my other pregnancies. But that is no longer the case. I am pretty sure I am getting as big as ever.  I think it just took me a little longer to really pop.
Anyway, I thought it was so funny to have someone tell me I looked smaller for the first time ever, I came home and told my hubby about it. Without even thinking he said,
"She probably just has tact and good social cues."  I made an over exaggerated gasp and laughed out loud. He turned bright red and started back peddling as fast as he could. But alas I had to agree with him, for it was the next day that the normal questions and comments started pouring in. I have had some real doozies during my three pregnancies. Luckily most of the time I just laugh at them. But I know some women don't.  So here is a list of things people have said to me that should not be said to any pregnant woman. Ever.  Tact and common courtesy shouldn't be dismissed just because someone is pregnant. So without further ado, my list of no nos:
  • "You must be over due."
  • "You look like you have been ready to pop for a long time."
  • "You must be due any day!" 
Never assume a pregnant woman is at or over her due date, because if she still has a few weeks/months to go you might all be embarrassed.
  • "You look miserable!" 
  • "That is the biggest belly I have ever seen."
  • "I bet you get a lot of stretch marks."
Why thank you for letting me know I look as miserable as I feel! You don't feel pretty when you are so large, but you don't need the world to point out how horrible you look! If the statement is made out of concern, a much better way to ask would simply be, "how are you feeling?"
  • "Wow! You still have two months to go? That is going to be one HUGE baby!"
  • "Twins or triplets?"
  • "I hope you get to have a C-section. I wouldn't want to have to deliver whatever baby is that big." 
No pregnant woman needs to know that the world really does notice that she is as big as she feels.

Oh I laughed out loud as I typed this. I seriously am constantly amazed at people. I probably have heard more ridiculous comments that I can't remember right now.  What is it about pregnancy that makes tact fly out the window?

So my advice to all, when you see a pregnant woman, tell her she looks beautiful. Tell her she is smaller than you think. Tell her she is glowing with that beautiful pregnancy glow.  You just might make her day.

3 comments:

  1. I thought I'd heard them all (not by experience, just by people re-telling their stories), but my jaw dropped at the "I bet you get a lot of stretch marks". Are you kidding me? Kathie, you are wonderful for laughing these comments off. I think you look beautiful! And I thought you looked stunning at church today, and was going to tell you, but never got a chance to be in ear shot of you :). Here's to two-ish more months of pregnancy glow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie I loved reading this. I have been a recipient of lovely comments such as these when I am expecting. I always get asked about twins and then followed by, "are you sure they have the due date right"? I could add more to the list of un-tactful things to not say...but I'll save it for another time. I think there is nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman. It's divine. best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post =). I'm due in March as well. Here is what someone said to me last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhzsj6rWJ2s

    ReplyDelete