

This past weekend was my little guy's birthday. Griffin turned two years old and the whole weekend was so much fun. It was Labor day weekend so we had three whole days together as a family. It was perfect. Saturday we woke up and headed to the zoo. We loved seeing the animals, riding the skyride, and taking a spin on the cars and merry-go-round. We came home and built a new tool bench toy that had come in the mail. The rest of the weekend we went to church, played trains and firetrucks, opened presents, rode bikes, found sticks, ate cupcakes, got McDonald smoothies and played in the play place. And I was completely happy and content the whole weekend.

Flash back five years, and this would not have been what I would have thought of as an ideal weekend. We would have never dropped money on a merry-go-round and so thoroughly enjoyed it. We wouldn't have driven 50 minutes to see an elephant. We wouldn't have found any pleasure in searching for sticks, or climbing in the McDonald's play place. Kids change every aspect of your life. Five years ago I was riding a segway through Washington DC and thought it was one of the coolest things I had ever done. It was a blast, and so much fun. Yet now, the sight of an elephant and the looks on my boys' faces brings me true joy, which is way more than just fun. I love that change in my life that my kids brought. I have experienced what true joy really is, and it is in the simple discoveries and joy I see in their eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment