Thursday, January 31, 2013

One of those days

Today has just been one of those days. The weather was beautiful, and so this morning we accompanied some friends to the park.  It was a perfect, lovely morning. But when it was time to go, things turned sour. I had told the boys they had ten more minutes to play, but then they started throwing sand. I am very strict about that, and they had already had a warning earlier in the day.  So I packed Griffin into the stroller and called Gavin to climb in. His wild man tantrum began immediately. He was screaming, cry, and hitting me as I gathered up the sand toys.
"We will promise not to throw sand again!" was his cry. But I wasn't about to give in with such a ridiculous tantrum.  There were about five mothers I didn't know standing there just staring at us. One said,
"Wow he is violent!"  I have been trying really hard lately not to give in to him in situations like this. So I ignored the moms, ignored Gavin's tantrum, stuck to my guns and started my short walk home. He cried and screamed, and thrashed the entire way home. It was actually comical to see how out of control he was. It was far beyond the normal Gavin tantrum. We made it home and upstairs, and the tantrum continued. After trying to reason with him, and failing, I choose to ignore him. It continued on for forty five minutes! I think it was a new record for him.  He finally gave in and came to me. I put my arms around him, gave him a hug and a kiss, and sat down for story time before naps.
When neither boy fell asleep for naps I knew our afternoon would be an adventure. After an hour I gave up and decided to play with them. We played pirates and Candy land, and then started on some puzzles when tantrum number two erupted. Gavin asked me to point the the puzzle piece I had pointed at before. I had no idea what he was talking about and once again he totally and completely snapped. This tantrum lasted about twenty minutes, but was equal in force to the first.
Just after he calmed down we decided to go outside to ride bikes.  I felt like I needed to get them outside for my own sanity. Right then Griffin squatted in his I am doing my business pose, so I told Gavin we had to wait to go outside until Griffin was finished pooping. After a minute or two of patient waiting Gavin asked Griffin,
"Are you done pooping Griffin?" When there was no answer Gavin ran and tackled Griffin to the ground. As his bum hit the ground poop squirted up his back and splattered across the carpet. I let out a scream and ran to them, but not before their wrestling match rolled right through the poop. Amazingly Griffin had the least amount on him of the two boys. Gavin's clothes were covered! I sent Gavin into the bathroom and quickly changed Griffin. I was going to stick them both in the bath when Gavin started tantrum number three at the mention of a bath.
"But you said we could go ride bikes!" I gave into this one. I didn't think I could physically get him in the bath and wash him without hurting my belly. You win some you loose some.
After cleaning up the boys and the carpet, we headed outside. I breathed in the fresh air and it was a welcome relief to be outside again. They usually play really nice outside so I settled down in a chair with my kindle to catch a break. Not long after we went outside the older neighbor girls got on their bikes. They zoomed out of the courtyard, onto the street, and into the parking lot. Now my boys know they are not allowed to go there, but Gavin was in a defiant mood. He looked back at me, started to laugh, and went as fast as he could after them. I tell you what, he is getting fast on his balance bike. It was not easy to catch up, and I was mad. This was not just frustrating, but completely dangerous. Our outside time was over, and his laughs soon turned into tantrum number four. I got the boys inside, locked the chain on the front door so they couldn't escape, left Gavin screaming and flailing and walked straight for my bed with tears running down my cheeks. I curled up on my bed and wondered how in the world I was going to survive the next three hours until bedtime. I felt so bad for my neighbors and was planning what sort of cookie I should make to take around as an apology for them having to listen to this all day.  I felt utterly and completely wasted, and at a total loss at what to do.
Just then a happy little Griffin ran into my room. He laughed and said,
"Mommy sleeping!" and pulled himself up on the bed. He climbed over me and immediately started patting my cheeks and kissing my forehead with a big cheesy grin on his face. He curled right up with me and snuggled me just when I needed it. The tears stopped and I lay still and let him kiss and poke me all over, just enjoying his little giggle. And then we continued to lay there while he talked non stop about Henry and Gordon the trains, and the big elephant that knocked on our door and sprayed water all over. For over ten minutes he laughed, kissed, cuddled, and talked. It instantly melted my frustration and replaced it with gratitude for my sweet little boys and the chance I have to be their mother.  Gavin's screams quieted and soon he meekly came into my room. I stiffened, not ready to give up my tender moment with Griffin, but relaxed as Gavin slowly climbed up onto the bed. I looked over at his red and tear stained face, and realized he needed a calm love too. I pulled him down beside me, and he cuddled right up. His breath was still shaky, but it started to calm as I rubbed his back and kissed his head. I said a little pray and thanked Heavenly Father for sending me this moment of peace and reflection when I so needed it.
After several more minutes of cuddling we got up and faced the rest of the evening with a renewed spirit. I knew I could make it through whatever else lay ahead this evening. As we were getting ready for baths, I was sitting down by the tub while Gavin climbed on the toilet. Somehow things were pointed the wrong way and when I looked up I got a face full of pee. I had to laugh.  It has just been one of those days.      

5 comments:

  1. Kathie, we need to be bringing YOU cookies for handling four meltdowns so well! What a CRAZY day! You're doing a great job. Those moms at the park may have never heard of karma before....not sure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Kathie. What a nightmare. I had many days like that when my two boys were much younger. Days I spent in tears of frustration at the defiance and craziness of my kids, or comments of others. It does get better. I mean, every stage has new and different challenges but I think it was much more emotionally draining when they were so young. Maybe I've just chilled out more, but it does get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathie, I love you! I have always thought you were the best mom in the world, and I hope when I have kids I can have a fraction of the patience you showed today! I read this entire post to Ry, and we both talked about how impressed we were that you never have up on the day and started over with a smile and loves, even after the 4th tantrum. I am sure Jim will be doing something very nice for you very soon! I wish I could pop over and watch the kids for you!! So excited for baby girl in March!! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kathie, what a day! I have tears rolling down my cheeks and I'm blubbering like a baby, at first because I was so sad for you but later, because it really was so dang funny that Gavin peed in your face. Seriously though, I'm so sorry you had such a difficult day. Being a mom isn't for sissies as they say! I think you are a wonderful mom and such a great example! I hope you remember that you don't have to be a perfect mom to be a successful mom, even though I think you are pretty close to perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just typed a long comment to you and somehow it was erased. Anyway, I can talk to you later and tell you what I said. Hang in there. It gets better. Darren used to throw these exact types of tantrums all of the time and now he is much more flexible. Love you and I will pray for you!

    ReplyDelete