Monday, August 20, 2012

Wrapped in a band aid of love

About four months ago my father had a horrible accident. He owns his own contracting business and was up on a roof doing measurements for a job. As he started down the ladder he slipped and fell, landing face first on the cement. He spent weeks in ICU with a serious brain injury. We were just lucky he was alive. I talked about Grandpa's accident with Gavin. He kept him in his prayers and always reminded whom ever was praying to pray for Grandpa. His tender heart was very worried about him.  I spent a lot of time in the  hospital, and my boys stayed with my amazing in-laws. Each time I left them Gavin wanted to come with so he could give Grandpa a band aid to make him feel all better.
When Dad was finally moved out of ICU and to a rehab floor, the boys were able to come with to see him. Gavin search through the box of Toy Story band aids to find the perfect one with Woody on it. He held on to it for dear life as we road in the car and walked through the hospital. I will never forget the look of concern on Gavin's little face as we walked in to see Grandpa. His little three year old eyes were filled with so much compassion. He was gentle as he climbed up on the bed and softly hugged Grandpa. He told him "Grandpa I brought you a Woody Band Aid to make you feel all better!" Grandma helped him put it on Grandpa's arm. Relief seemed to come to Gavin once that was finally on Grandpa's arm.  He had been wanting to bring in for so long, he just knew it would make him feel better. Dad wasn't responding too much yet but he did give Gavin a faint hug and a sweet smile. Before we left Gavin sang Grandpa his favorite song, "I Love to See the Temple." Tears rolled down Dad's cheeks. The whole visit was one of the sweetest things I have ever experienced. The concern, compassion, love, and faith that radiated from my little boy was so strong. Oh how I hope he never looses those qualities. My dad refused to let anyone take the band aid off his arm for a couple weeks. I think he could feel the love that it represented. 
When we arrived at my parents house on our most recent trip to Utah, Gavin was excited as always. He bounded in the door and then stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Grandpa walking down the hall. "Grandpa's all better!" he exclaimed with excitement. My heart melted with gratitude as I saw my dad walking in his home with a big smile on his face. While he still has some challenges ahead, and strength to regain, he is doing amazing. And I would like to think that a small part of the reason he is doing so well is because of the love and faith of a little boy.       

1 comment: