Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Check me out

The other day I was stuck in rush hour traffic which was worse than usual because of an accident.  I am not sure what it is, but my boys can drive twelve hours straight on the freeway with hardly a peep, but 30 minutes in stop and go traffic is something they just can't handle.  Gavin was getting particularly restless and whiny.  I kept turning around to talk to him, grab his sippy cup, hand him his car, you get the point, when I look at the car next to me full of four attractive young men.  They were probably in their early twenties.  The two in the front seat were smiling in my direction.  One guy lifted a hand and waved while the other gave a nod, you know, the nod guys used in high school.  I looked behind me to see who they were looking at, and it finally dawned on me that it was me!  I didn't even acknowledge them as I absentmindedly reached up and touched my hair, and smiled because I realized I had styled my hair today, which doesn't always happen.  Then I looked down at my shirt and saw chocolate milk spots and a dried snot streak and I burst out laughing.  I am sure they thought I was checking them out with all my head turns to their direction.  If only they could have seen the whole picture I am sure there would have been no nodding.  So many times as a mom I feel completely unattractive.  Mornings are a precious time at our house and I often have to choose between doing my hair and make up, and something else more "important" while my boys are still mellow and content.  We are poor college students so my wardrobe often feels lacking.  It just seems like a rarity that I really feel put together. It is my dream to have someone submit my name to "What Not to Wear" so I can have a total makeover. So today it felt good to feel noticed.  Even if it was a misunderstanding, and there is a good possibility they were mocking me.  But I am going to choose to think they weren't, and that they were oblivious to the two car seats in the back because they were totally smitten with my beauty.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Kathie! I know exactly how you feel--not getting checked out by guys, but feeling like looking pretty is a novelty rather than the norm. Yesterday I pulled my hair back into a wet bun for the hundredth day in a row and it almost made me cry. So today I curled my hair and made the kids just wait for me. It was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. You're totally gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh. Yesterday, as I was about to get in my MINIVAN, I got whistled at by a guy in a big pickup truck. At first I didn't realize it was me he was doing it at, but since I was the only person outside on the entire street (at Mom and Dad's) I knew it had to be. My first reaction was to want to flip him off, but then I realized that I hadn't been whistled at in YEARS so maybe I should just take it as a compliment :). So my advice is to just accept the compliment!

    ReplyDelete