Today I was very grateful for the kindness of a stranger. We were playing at the park, having a blast, when Gavin stepped on something and started screaming at the top of his lungs. I had seen a few bees around and immediately thought he had been stung. We were at a huge park and had wandered far away from the playgrounds were we had left our shoes and sand toys. I picked him up, loved him as best I could, and started heading back towards our stuff. Griffin decided he didn't want to walk and sat down on the ground and started yelling "up!" Gavin was still crying and wouldn't walk. I looked at our path and was wondering how in the world I was going to carry both of them that far. I looked at Griffin and said "Please get up, I can't carry you both!" A man sitting on a bench near by jumped up and came over to offer his assistance. I gratefully accepted. I didn't know how Griffin would react, but as the man picked him up, he just looked at him and said "hi!" The man carried Griffin all the way across the park for me. Gavin was so interested in who this stranger was, he stopped crying as we walked, and just looked at the man. The man told me how cute the boys were and to enjoy every minute because it goes by in the blink of an eye. I don't know his name, or what he does for a living. I don't know how many children he has or if he has any grandchildren. But I do know he had a very kind heart. I do know that that small act of carrying my little boy was a huge help to me. I will always be thankful for that simple service.
I think sometimes when we watch the news and hear about the horrible things in this world it is easy to think that the good is gone. But the reality is that there is so much good all around us, and I think it is most evident in the small moments we serve each other. I think the good is especially brought out around young children. I have seen it so much more as a mother. I can't count how many times a stranger has helped me with my kids. So many times when I have been alone at airport security someone has stepped up to hold a baby, or put my stroller on the table for me. In March when I flew by myself with the boys, the plane was a little bumpy and Gavin was scared out of his mind, the lady sitting in our row held Griffin and let him play with her iPhone the entire flight. At the grocery store people play peek-a-boo with the boys when they are getting restless waiting in the line to check out. These may seem like simple things, but to me they are lifesavers. I am so grateful for all the kind hearts in the world. I hope I can more often recognize when someone needs a hand. I hope I can pay it forward and be someone else's kind stranger someday.
No comments:
Post a Comment