Yes you read the title right. I am talking about Santa Clause. In the middle of July. Gavin is obsessed. Oh last Christmas was magical. The first time Gavin saw Santa, Mr. Claus was walking into a mall, ready to take his seat in the Christmas throne. Gavin was about to burst with delight. Oh how he loves Santa with all his heart. For months after Christmas he talked about Santa, thought about Santa, and dreamed about Santa. It finally started to slow down a month or two ago, until now. The other morning I had to get ready to go. My boys like lots of attention, and when my focus is on something else, cleaning, cooking, doing my hair, or anything other than them, Gavin tends to get wild and crazy, and unfortunately mean. He knows he will get attention if he hurts Griffin, or throws things. I am a little stuck on how to deal with this problem. Anyway, back to my story. Gavin was torturing his little brother, and there were a few tears and lots of screaming. When I approached him there was no apologetic frown, just a mischievously grinning little boy, ready and waiting to be chased. No time outs, discussions on right and wrong choices, or toy distraction had worked, and I was in a hurry to finish getting things ready to go. Out of desperation I said in a matter-of-fact voice, "Santa isn't going to bring you any presents if you aren't being nice!" Gavin stopped right in his tracks. The grin was instantly wiped off his face and desperation replaced it. "I am going to be nice. He will bring me presents!" was his heart broken reply. The discussion of right and wrong from earlier that didn't sink in, suddenly came out again, but this time it hit listening ears. He would do anything for Santa, and to think Santa might be watching was almost more than he could bare. He quickly picked up the toys and didn't touch his brother again the whole morning. The effect lasted for a few days, and Santa was on the front of his mind at all times.
Now this wasn't my finest parenting moment, and I don't endorse threatening children, but in my mind it was better than me loosing my cool with my three year old. Sometimes we don't have the time or resources to parent the "right way." Desperate times call for desperate measures, and today I am grateful for Santa Claus. I will keep the Santa card in my back pocket, and use it only in extreme circumstances. I give you permission to do the same.
I think any parent who says that they have never threatened their child at some point (or played the Santa card - but usually at Christmas time, not in July :) ) is lying, or doesn't understand what the word threat means. In other words, we all have parenting moments that would not be deemed our "finest." I tend to have them nearly every day :).
ReplyDeleteI'm loving your blog! So true! I will use the Santa card! (and have many times I'm sure just not under the santa name!! You are a great mom!
ReplyDelete