Monday, July 23, 2012

Speed eating

When I first got married, my brother-in-law's wife and I were always the last two eating at family dinners. My husband and his brothers ate so fast, we didn't think they could possibly enjoy their food.  We would have 3/4 of our plate left when they were finished. We always teased them about it.
A few nights ago, my husband and I sat down to dinner.  I got the boys their food, dished up Jim and I's plates, and we "enjoyed" a nice family dinner together. Even with getting up to get something for the boys at least three times, I finished my plate well before Jim.  He looked over at my plate, and this time it was him commenting in amazement at the speed in which I had eaten. I looked over and realized I have become what I made fun of. Eating fast as a mom is pretty much the only way to survive sometimes.  Today I prepared both boys lunches, got them eating, then prepared mine, ate it, and unloaded the dishwasher before they were finished.  Meal time is precious time, because Griffin is in his high chair and can't get into trouble, and Gavin is preoccupied and doesn't need me to play with him. So I can honestly say I am the master speed eater. I hope one day I will be able to slow it down and enjoy a meal again. But for now I will take on anyone in a speed eating contest. I bet I could win.

No comments:

Post a Comment